Skip to main content.
Every document you need to apply for a mortgage

Every document you need to apply for a mortgage

Buying a home can appear a confusing process, especially if you’re yet to start your research into the finer details. You might feel lost or confused with so many new terms flying around, such as “agreement in principle” or “loan to value”. Make sure to check out our handy Jargon Buster for an in-depth look at common terms and phrases that you’ll come across throughout your journey to getting on the property ladder!

In this post, we’ve compiled a detailed, easy to understand list of every document you could need for a mortgage application. Whether you’re just looking at new homes or still saving up for a deposit, have a read below to start thinking about how you can be mortgage ready for a new Shared Ownership home.

Kitchen - diner area, Acer Apartments, White City
Studio Apartment Plot 1502 – show home kitchen- diner and lounge area

Proof of identity 


Your passport is needed as proof of who you are and where you are currently living. 

If you don’t have a passport, alternatively you can use a driver’s license. However, this can sometimes cause complications with your lender or broker if it has a different address noted to the one that you’re submitting.  

Remember: you can’t use an expired ID, so it’s important to check the dates. 

Utility bills for a proof of address 

You need proof of your current address, so a utility bill dated within in the last three months is an ideal document to provide. As with all documents you’re providing, make sure the information is consistent and up to date. 

Proof of income 

To assess your ability to afford a home and make your mortgage payments on time, you need to provide several documents relating to your income. 

Three months’ payslips  

This is proof of your earnings, which helps a financial advisor properly reach a judgement about your ability to afford the home you want to buy. Payslips must be no more than three months old and should display your full name, place of employment, as well as net and gross pay. 

P60 from your employer 

This is particularly helpful if you’re new to your job role, have recently changed jobs or receive income from multiple sources. This is because it demonstrates the amount of tax that you have paid in the year, which acts as evidence of your overall income. 

Any proof of benefits if you receive them  

Although not applicable to all homebuyers, if you claim benefits while hoping to buy a home, you need to provide your most recent HMCR or Department of Work and Pensions letter. This will include information on child benefits, tax credits and any other state benefits that you may receive. 

Two bed show home lounge-dining area

SA302 tax return 

This is a standard document that proves your earnings for up to the last four years, once you have completed your Self-Assessment tax return. 

You can print this directly from in your Personal HMRC online account. 

Two to three years accounts from a registered accountant if you’re self-employed 

If you have SA302 forms to provide your mortgage lender, you’ll also need a certificate from a registered accountant certifying the authenticity and accuracy of these documents. 

Proof of expenses

Bank statements from the last three to six months

In order to fully assess your ability to afford your mortgage repayments, you’ll need to provide bank statements dated in the last six months to outline your spending. This is because any large monthly fees you pay will affect your ability to afford your home. 

The bank statement cannot be amended in anyway, and it must show your name, address and current balance. You may be asked questions about certain payments which appear to be an anomaly, so prepare to answer questions about your personal spending. 

Final tips for your mortgage application

Given the amount of paperwork required when buying a house, we recommend getting multiple copies as you’ll need them for both your mortgage lender as well as any conveyancing matters. Given that many documents are now accepted digitally, it’s wise to think about scanning and collating these into a clear PDF.  

Ready to get on the property ladder now that you know a little more about mortgage applications? Why not take a look at our affordable homes across the country, available through Shared Ownership. You could live in Zone 2 London with a deposit as little as £6,500 at our stunning Acer Apartments or settle down in our Devonshire haven Little Cotton Farm with a deposit from £2,950. You can view all our developments, here

Head to our social media profiles on Instagram and Facebook to ask us your property questions!